Friday 18 July 2008

Midsummer & my Birthday

Hey everyone!


Well I had a very lovely birthday, had a dinner at my house for 10 of my girl friends which went well. I made my auntys famous home made ice cream which was fun and everyone enjoyed it.






my table
Alana and Julia
Sofia and Linnea Louise and I
me, Caroline, Alana and Julia



I am yet to get the rest of the photos of my host parents. It is traditional to be woken on your birthday by your family walking into your room singing a happy birthday song very loudly and bringing your pressies and brekky. It is quite nice really!





Well I had my birthday dinner on the thursday evening before my birthday as on my actual birthday it was Midsummer, a very swedition tradition of celebrating summer right in the middle. Well It is celebrated by everyone dressing in dresses, well the girls anyway, and flowery wreaths in the hair as everyone has a very swedish lunch and dances around what i can only describe as a tall pole wrapped in a grass wreath type thing. So everybody got dressed and we all walked to the field in Gantofta to join the other familys there. It was raining. It rained so much infact taht unfortunatly everybody stayed only about 10 minutes before giving up and going home so I missed out on dancing and singing around a big grass thing haha. Lunch was pickled herring ( the swedes tend to eat that on every occasion such as easter and christmas), potatoes, meatballs, schnaps etc




What wonderful weather to celebrate Summer with!

Emmy's hair wreath

Lunchtime
trying my snaps and herring


Brittany, Emmy and I


Well my host mother felt it was very sad that i was missing out on such a swedish tradition so she took the table model of what everyone dances around, you can see it in the photo of lunch, and placed in the backyard and a few of us danced and sung around that. It was very funny, I shall try and post the video soon.


The ended with a midsummer party at a friends house which was a nice way to finish the day and my birthday :)

myself, host brother Anton and Brittany

2 comments:

Lance Powell said...

A Swedition Tradition? Choice.

Anonymous said...

haha whoops *swedish* tradition!