Tuesday 19 February 2008

One Month in!

Well I have now been here for one month and 5 days, and it feels like far longer since I left home!


Since my last post/email, I have been to the famous sauna. This is where many naked people ( men and woman are seperated of course) lie in a hot hot hot sauna untill they cant handle the heat any longer and so go outside ( still naked-and when I did it it was about 2 degrees outside, although goodness knows what the water temp was!) and jump into the sea. yes the sea. this sea seperates Denmark and Sweden. Then they run back into the sauna and so the cycle begins.


I experianced this with my host mother and her girlfriends from Gantofta and Brittany, the other exchange student living in my house. Well Brittany and i broke the rules and wore our bikinis. Well I tell you it was an experiance!!! One that I certainly could not have done in New Zealand!!! I have now seen all the ladies of Gantofta nude plus several from the city of helsingborg who were also participating in the crazy activity! It was very funny because Brit and i felt so awkward sitting chatting away with all these naked ladies. It was hard to know where to look because we there were three heights of chairs and well you can imagine... Anywho I survived walking through the showering block where various shapes and sizes were scrubbing various areas and into the sauna where I stared outside and the windy blustering sea, almost unable to see Denmark, only 4000 metres away! Then it was time to jump into the water.


wow oh wow. boy it was cold!!! Here are the photos to prove my achievment..
Walking ( slowly, so very slowly!!!) into the freezing water. Aka hell!

a picture says a thousand words!
brit and I competing to see who could last the longest.
I did not do well.
the location.




School is improving. The girls still let me sit with them and follow them around. Inbetween classes one day i even went to somebodys house! So I think that school will be fine. I have now experianced communal showers because we went swimming for p.e one day although 5 of us showered in our bikinis and only one girl showered without her togs so that was ok! although it seems like everywhere i go now people insist on being nude!!! Sadly I no longer really notice when somebody walks past me naked!

I have just spent the weekend in Kristianstad ( kir-farn-staad) ( or if you live in my city they say q-fwin-stad) ( or if you live somewhere else...you get the idea! Makes it difficult to purchase tickets!!!) staying with a kiwi exchange student, Alana. It was lots of fun seeing her again and being able to talk quickly and with understanding!

I am on holiday this week and so I am about to go and meet two american exchange students at the train station as they are staying at my house. We shall pop into denmark tomorrow for a little squiz. I havent yet met one of them so that will be nice to have a new friend!

Nothing much else to report now so I shall leave you all to your busy lives!

hope your not all missing me too much!!

much love,
x

No comments: